WILDC.A.T.S #1.....3.5 Stars

 

WILDC.A.T.S #1


Old school comic book fans who have been reading for decades often have super teams they've never felt compelled to read, or perhaps were taking a draw down from comics when they became popular, and for me, one of those super teams was Jim Lee's WILDC.A.T.S.

In fact, if it wasn't for encountering Grifter in Batman's Urban Legends a few years ago in a backstory written by Mathew  Rosenberg,  I probably would not be doing this review today, but as you have it, I quite liked the character and so here I am, writing a review. 

A lot of people don't like Mathew Rosenberg on comic fan forums for some reason, but I think he's a decent writer, I don't rank him up there with the legends of the industry, but he does a job, in short he's readable and his work is enjoyable. 

As I've never encountered WILDC.A.T.S. before, I'm not sure if the gratuitous language is what is typically associated in writing this group (they were after all a by product of the early 90's when comic books where much more edgier than they are today) but for me, that's where the comic failed, and was a bit of a put off. I don't mind foul language, but it was a bit over the top to the point it felt like it was trying to hard to be edgy,. Back in the 90's having a lot of foul language was seen as cool, whereby today, with pop stars like Paris Hilton and Justin Bieber swearing to be cool.....it's just lame. 

There is also a lot of cliques with these characters, from  the deadly female sword wielding assassin, to Cash Cole, the incompetent rebel hero who spends his time getting in Wolverineish type bar fights. Finally, WILDC.A.T.S. does feel like a bit of a Suicide Squad opts B team, but if you can get over all of that, there is a good enjoyable read here worthy of your dollar. 

3.5 out of 5 stars  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aquamen #1.... 3 Stars

Aquamen #2..... 2.5.... stars

Tim Drake Robin #1....3 Stars