Poison Ivy #1.......4.5 Stars

 

Poison Ivy #1



When I picked up issue 1 of Poison Ivy I had my trepidations, was I going to get Poison Ivy the trendy anti hero, or was I going to get the real Poison Ivy; psychopathic, murderous eco killer, and to my pleasant surprise I got the latter. 

I've never read anything by Marcio Takara before, but I heard that she was an all American girl who was raised as an atheist, and then eventually converted to Islam, interesting twist, but that got my agnostic brain thinking; Islam and Christianity are essentially cousins and hold the same view of nature being corrupted , so I can't help but think that Takara might be tapping into this with Poison Ivy's villainy. I am tempted to go into the dark history of nature worship and it's connection to totalitarian ideologies from the French Revolution to the Third Reich, but......this is not the forum for such an endeavor. For me, it just means that Takara probably gets it. Poison Ivy isn't a peace loving anti hero hippy, but a psychopath, and that's why I love her. 

There is something so compelling about a character that is so beautiful and desirable, but yet you know, that if you encountered her in the real world, and succumbed to her seduction, you would surely be dead, or at least turned into a potted plant. I think many a teenage boy have pondered their fate if they met Poison Ivy. 

Anyways, well written bravo Takara! Buy issue number 1, and look forward to issue number 2.

4.5 stars out of 5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aquamen #1.... 3 Stars

Aquamen #2..... 2.5.... stars

Tim Drake Robin #1....3 Stars