Aquaman Andromeda......3.5 Stars

 

Aquaman Andromeda: Book 1



So I've heard a lot of great things about Ram V. as a writer (particularly for his work on Swamp Thing) so I was keen to check this out, and my verdict is that I was neither over or underwhelmed  by his work on this issue, but rather.....I'd say it will probably take me awhile before I become accustom to his writing style, before I can determine if he lives up to the hype. 

Let me elaborate further, believe it or not after decades of collecting comics I had never encountered Grant Morrison's work until his latest Green Lantern run, and despite my best efforts, and recognizing that this is a style that some people love, I just could not get into his rather dense wordy writing. I did feel a little a bit this way after reading Ram V's Andromeda, but not to the same extent, but I also initially recall loathing Tom King's work, but today he is now one of my favourite DC writers...so in short, I'm still looking forward to the Zdarsky, Ram V double team on Batman this summer. 

It's an interesting story, though a bit of a slow burn for a book one, and it does have that 1950's campy sci fi the Challengers feel to it with the whole submarine crew, which isn't really my thing, but I found myself enjoying the story near the end, and  the art from Christian Ward was pretty good.

Would I buy book 2, probably not to be honest, but I can already tell it's better than Aquamen, and the even worse Aquaman/Green Arrow mini run, but overall DC has kind of rained on my Aquaman parade for awhile, so unless someone as legendary as Peter David returns, I can't forsee me shelling out the $ for another Aquaman title in the near future. 

3.5 out of 5 stars. 






 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aquamen #1.... 3 Stars

Aquamen #2..... 2.5.... stars

Tim Drake Robin #1....3 Stars